Sonia authorised to choose Presidential, VP nomine
New Delhi: The Congress Working Committee (CWC) on Monday authorised party President Sonia Gandhi to decide on the candidates for the coming Presidential and Vice Presidential elections.
The resolution, authorising her, was interestingly moved by Finance Minister and senior leader Pranab Mukherjee, who is himself considered the front runner in the race for the President`s post.
The resolution was adopted at the day-long meeting of the CWC, chaired by Gandhi, unanimously, party sources said.
Major political formations like the Congress-led UPA and NDA are yet to announce their strategy for the next month`s Presidential election, while AIADMK and BJD have declared former Speaker P A Sangma as their candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'