Sonia authorised to choose Presidential, VP nomine
New Delhi: The Congress Working Committee (CWC) on Monday authorised party President Sonia Gandhi to decide on the candidates for the coming Presidential and Vice Presidential elections.
The resolution, authorising her, was interestingly moved by Finance Minister and senior leader Pranab Mukherjee, who is himself considered the front runner in the race for the President`s post.
The resolution was adopted at the day-long meeting of the CWC, chaired by Gandhi, unanimously, party sources said.
Major political formations like the Congress-led UPA and NDA are yet to announce their strategy for the next month`s Presidential election, while AIADMK and BJD have declared former Speaker P A Sangma as their candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional