Sons, daughters of politicians rise in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Sons and daughters of top leaders
made a political debut tasting victory in the Maharashtra
Assembly polls carrying forward dynastic politics with
President Pratibha Patil`s son Rajendra Singh Shekawat leading
Vying for a spot in the Sun, the victorious candidates
from across the political spectrum won from the pocket
boroughs of their family in the state.
From the Congress, the debutante candidates included
Shekawat who beat Sunil Deshmukh, the party`s rebel candidate
and state minister, in Amravati. Deshmukh, who is also the
state minister, lost by about 5,600 votes after initially
Union Minister and former Chief Minister Vilasrao
Deshmukh`s son Amit and another Union Minister Sushil Kumar
Shinde`s daughter Praniti also romped home winners. Amit and
Praniti won from their father`s bastions in Latur and Solapur
Congress ally NCP also had its share of children of top
political leaders tasting success in their debut. They
included Pankaj Bhujbal, son of Deputy Chief Minister and
senior NCP leader Chagan Bhujbal. Pankaj won from Nandgaon
constituency in Nashik.
The legacy trend in the opposition alliance also tasted
some success when BJP leader and former Deputy Chief Minister
Gopinath Munde`s daughter Pankaja Palve won from Parli.
Incidentally, her Congress rival whom Pankaja beat was Prof T
P Munde, a lecturer in the college where she studied.
But not all the candidates with a strong political
lineage could push for a debut. The prominent losers were
Poonam Mahajan, niece of Munde and daughter of slain BJP
leader Pramod Mahajan. Poonam was vanquished by Ram Kadam of
Shekawat, who faced constant jibes that he got Congress
nomination from Amravati because of his lineage, said his
mother had no role to play in the elections. His father
Devisingh Shekhawat had been chosen from the constituency
about two decades ago.
Some other successful debutantes included Shiv Sena`s Om
Raje Nimbalkar, son of murdered Congress leader Pawan Raje
Some sons nominated by the Congress bit the dust at the
hustings. They included Rahul Puglia, son of senior leader
Madan Bhosale, son of former Pradesh Congress Committee
chief Prataprao Bhosale, who had been an independent MLA and
who got a Congress ticket this time lost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!