Sony to invest over $1 billion in Sharp LCD unit: Report
Tokyo: Sony Corp will likely invest more than 100 billion yen (USD 1.1 billion) in a planned liquid crystal display TV panel venture with Sharp Corp, the Nikkei business daily reported on Friday.
Sony announced last year that it planned to take a 34 percent stake in a joint venture with Sharp to manage a 380 billion yen LCD panel factory in western Japan, but the two sides have not come to a final agreement on the stake and investment split.
Shares of Sony were up 2.2 percent at 2,380 yen while Sharp rose 2.7 percent to 946 yen, roughly in line with a 2.7 percent gain in Japan`s electrical machinery index.
The two companies will finalize plans for the joint venture by the end of July, with Sony`s initial investment likely to be about 50-60 billion yen and eventually climbing to more than 100 billion yen, the Nikkei said.
Representatives for Sony and Sharp said nothing has been decided and declined to comment further.
The deal is aimed at allowing Sony to secure enough panels for the growing LCD TV market while giving Sharp a partner to help shoulder the cost of the plant.
Sharp has said that it planned to start operations at the LCD plant in the western Japanese city of Sakai in October to meet recovering flat TV demand.
The factory will be the world`s first plant that handles so-called 10th-generation glass substrates, which are bigger than earlier-generation substrates and help reduce per-panel production costs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video