Soon, download high-quality movie in 1 min
London: Virgin Media, telecom and cable giant, has said that it will test the world``s fastest broadband as demand grows for lightning-quick internet connections.
The company said it planned to trial speeds of up to 1.5 gigabytes per second - more than 10 times faster than its current fastest service of 100 megabytes per second and 240 times quicker than the UK average.
It would mean that customers could download a high-quality movie or video game in 55 seconds, rather than the three hours and 40 minutes it would take with the current UK average speed of 6.2mb.
Trials of the super-fast Internet connections will begin this month at four companies near Old Street, in London, dubbed the “Silicon Roundabout”, but the service will eventually be used in homes as well as offices.
The company said one of the greatest advantages of the 1.5gb service is not the speed, but the increased number of users who will be able to use the network simultaneously without interruption.
“Demand for greater bandwidth is growing rapidly as more devices are able to connect to the Internet and as more people go online simultaneously,” the Daily Mail quoted Jon James, executive director of broadband at Virgin Media, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!