Soon, `intelligent` tyre that adapts itself to weather
Sydney: German researchers are developing the world’s first-ever “intelligent” tyre which automatically adapts itself to the prevailing weather conditions even while you are driving.
The team headed by Detlef Riemer at the University of Applied Sciences in Leipzig unveiled the “adaptive tyre” at this year’s Hanover Fair, the world’s biggest industrial fair taking place in the north German city this week.
“Today’s choice of tyres are always a compromise between the ability to brake and petrol consumption,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Riemer as saying.
“The car driver has to take into consideration every sort of weather condition and you can’t change tyres while you’re driving,” he added.
But Riemer’s “adaptive tyre” is equipped with electronic sensors, which recognise different sorts of terrain - whether motorway or untarmacked roads - and whether it’s dry, raining or snowing.
And accordingly, the tyres’ profiles are automatically raised or widened accordingly, even when the car is in motion.
“That means your car is always equipped with the best possible tyre, and noise and petrol consumption are automatically optimised, too,” Riemer stated.
“The driver no longer has to think about adapting their tyres. The tyre itself ``thinks’ too,” he added.
The tyre is still a long way from a finished product and research is still being carried out, notably on the materials that can be used for the moveable parts of the tyre’s profiles.
“But we’ve patented it already, just in case,” Riemer noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi