Soon, LED light bulbs that last more than 20 years!
London: LED light bulbs which uses very little energy and are said to last more than two decades, are expected to go on sale later this year.
Three companies are expected to sell this type of bulb, which will not be cheap to purchase.
The three bulbs are meant to last more than 20 years, as long as they are only used for around three hours a day.
It will use light-emitting diodes (LED) to produce as much light as a 100-watt incandescent alternative.
General Electric, Phillips and Sylvania exhibited this type of bulb and their other products at the recent Light Fair industry conference in Las Vegas.
Both Philips and Sylvania told the BBC that their products are due to appear in stores later this year, while GE plans to sell its bulb early next year. The firm currently sells a 9-watt LED bulb that is made to replace a 40-watt incandescent, for about 50 dollars.
“LEDs promise to be the way forward for the whole sector,” the Telegraph quoted James Russill, the UK’s Energy Saving Trust’s technical development manager as telling the BBC.
“There are so many benefits: they can be smaller, brighter; it is one of those rare technologies where the trial has shown it performs better than the lighting systems it is replacing but, at the same time, uses less energy.
“LEDs are the most efficient light source currently available, and are increasingly used in domestic, commercial and automotive applications. They can last tens of thousands of hours compared to 1,000 hours for typical incandescent lamps,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars