South America backs Spain-Portugal 2018 World Cup bid
Asuncion: South America will vote for the Spain-Portugal bid to host the 2018 World Cup finals when FIFA holds its election on Dec. 2, Conmebol`s general secretary Eduardo Deluca said.
"The 10 countries are agreed to give the vote to Spain," Deluca told reporters after a Conmebol executive meeting at its headquarters in the Paraguayan capital.
Deluca, who did not elaborate, said the meeting had not discussed support for bids for the 2022 finals which will also be voted on at FIFA headquarters in Zurich next week.
The joint Spanish and Portuguese bid will be competing against three others: England, Russia and Netherlands-Belgium.
Australia, the United States, Qatar, Japan and South Korea are vying to stage the 2022 finals.
"Spain for South Americans is like the mother country, and on top of that we have a more than friendly relationship with the Royal Spanish (Football) Federation which is really one more of us," Deluca said.
"We feel in Spain like in our own home," he told reporters later.
When Spain, newly crowned as world champions in South Africa in July, played a friendly against Argentina in Buenos Aires in August there was speculation locally about the visit having a political aspect with the 2018 World Cup in mind.
Brazil will be staging the next finals in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy