Soviet era space capsule sold for nearly $3 mn in New York
New York: A Russian businessman has bought a 1960s Soviet space capsule for nearly three million dollars at auction in New York.
The spherical Vostok 3KA-2 Space Capsule went under the hammer at Sotheby`s for 2.88 million dollars, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Winning bidder Evgeny Yurchenko, chairman of the AS Popov investment fund, said he was buying the scorched machine to return it to Russia as part of the celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of the historic conquest of space by Soviet cosmonaut Yury Gagarin.
The battered craft was used for the final dummy run before Gagarin left on his mission in 1960. It was used to carry a small dog, Zvezdochka, and a life-sized human dummy into orbit and back.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan