Spain recall Ferrero to face Swiss in Davis Cup
Madrid: Former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero has been recalled to help Spain begin the defence of their Davis Cup title against Switzerland next month, captain Albert Costa said on Tuesday.
Ferrero joins David Ferrer, Tommy Robredo and Marcel Granollers in the four-man team for the March 5-7 first-round tie on clay at the bull ring in Logrono, Costa said on the Spanish tennis federation website.
Ferrer is the only survivor from the side who beat Czech Republic in last year`s final in Barcelona, with world number three Rafael Nadal, number 10 Fernando Verdasco and number 34 Feliciano Lopez all unavailable.
Ferrero, the 2003 French Open champion, comes in to the tie afer winning back-to-back titles at the Brasil and Buenos Aires Opens which have lifted him to 16th in the world rankings.
The Spanish have dominated the Davis Cup over the past decade, also winning in 2000, 2004 and 2008, and are undefeated in 18 home ties stretching back to April 1999 when they lost 3-2 to Brazil in Lerida.
Swiss world number one Roger Federer has said he is unavailable as he is reluctant to play on clay immediately before the hardcourt events in Indian Wells and Miami.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea