Spain take top spot as England labour to draw
Copenhagen: Two goals from striker Adrian Lopez gave Spain a 2-0 victory over the Czech Republic and England played out a goalless draw with Ukraine in Group B at the European Under-21 championship on Wednesday.
The Czech`s unbeaten record, which they maintained all through the qualifiers, came to an abrupt end as the Deportivo La Coruna player struck in each half in the Danish town of Viborg.
After he opened the scoring in the 27th minute, the Czechs missed their best chance to get back into the game when Tomas Pekhart failed to add to the nine goals he scored in qualifying by firing over the bar.
Adrian then struck again two minutes after the break to put the Spaniards in pole position in Group B.
England, who drew 1-1 with Spain in their first game, had a chance to effectively put Ukraine out of the competition as the two teams met in the second game of the day in Herning.
Daniel Sturridge almost broke the deadlock as he thundered a shot off the Ukrainian crossbar from distance in the first half but despite decent chances for both teams, neither could find a way through.
The result leaves third-placed England a point behind their next opponents the Czechs, who beat Ukraine in their first game.
Bottom side Ukraine also play Spain in the final round of group games on Sunday with their chances of a semi-final berth looking unlikely.
Group A`s final group matches take place on Saturday with Switzerland out in front.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof