Spain`s Torres, Pedro suffer injury blows
Madrid: Spain`s preparations for this month`s Euro 2012 qualifiers at home to Lithuania and away to Scotland were hit on Sunday when striker Fernando Torres and forward Pedro were injured in domestic league action.
Liverpool striker Torres suffered a groin strain during the club`s 2-1 home defeat by Premier League newcomers Blackpool, manager Roy Hodgson said.
Barcelona said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.cat) that Pedro had damaged a thigh muscle in the La Liga champions` 1-1 draw with Real Mallorca.
It was not clear how serious the injuries were but the pair could be sidelined for the world and European champions` match against Lithuania in Salamanca on Friday and the trip to Glasgow the following Tuesday.
Spain were already missing injured playmakers Xavi and Cesc Fabregas.
Torres was taken off after nine minutes at Anfield.
"He has a groin strain, but I don`t know how severe it is," Hodgson was quoted as saying on Liverpool`s website .
"They are assessing it at the moment. It happened early in the game which came as a surprise to us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad