Spain`s Torres, Pedro suffer injury blows
Madrid: Spain`s preparations for this month`s Euro 2012 qualifiers at home to Lithuania and away to Scotland were hit on Sunday when striker Fernando Torres and forward Pedro were injured in domestic league action.
Liverpool striker Torres suffered a groin strain during the club`s 2-1 home defeat by Premier League newcomers Blackpool, manager Roy Hodgson said.
Barcelona said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.cat) that Pedro had damaged a thigh muscle in the La Liga champions` 1-1 draw with Real Mallorca.
It was not clear how serious the injuries were but the pair could be sidelined for the world and European champions` match against Lithuania in Salamanca on Friday and the trip to Glasgow the following Tuesday.
Spain were already missing injured playmakers Xavi and Cesc Fabregas.
Torres was taken off after nine minutes at Anfield.
"He has a groin strain, but I don`t know how severe it is," Hodgson was quoted as saying on Liverpool`s website .
"They are assessing it at the moment. It happened early in the game which came as a surprise to us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda