Spanish coach in dilemma over playing Torres in final
Johannesburg: Spanish coach Vicente Del Bosque has said that he does not know if he will select striker Fernando Torres for Sunday’s World Cup final against the Netherlands.
Torres was dropped from the semi-final match against Germany, as he had failed to score in Spain’s earlier matches in the tournament.
There are also concerns that 26-year-old has not overcome a knee operation from earlier in the year.
Bosque however admitted that the striker is a crucial player in the team.
“I don’t know if he will be in the line-up. It was a difficult choice. Torres has been helping us all along. His work is important even if it is not noticed. He is good at occupying the centre-backs,” Sport24 quoted Bosque, as saying.
“I didn’t talk to him before I announced the line-up (against Germany), but he is a very important part of the team. He is one of the key members of the squad and a lovely guy,” he added.
Torres was left out against Germany after being substituted on the hour in Spain’s two previous knock-out matches against Paraguay and Portugal.
Pedro had replaced him against Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation