Spanish teams have a lot to learn from England clubs: Torres
Liverpool: Liverpool striker Fernando Torres said that rich Spanish clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona cannot match the standards of English Premier League clubs.
The Spaniard said, despite spending large sums of money this summer on good and experienced players, the La Liga sides still have a lot to learn from these English clubs.
“English football has an enormous following across the world, not just because of the players but because of its history, its tradition, the excitement, the capacity crowds,” Torres told Liverpool’s website.
“The other leagues can learn a lot, even La Liga. Madrid have signed Kaka and Ronaldo, and Barcelona have Xavi and Messi but, really, the Premier League is way ahead.”
Torres himself has spent six years in the Spanish arena with Atletico Madrid.
The 25 year old said that winning trophies for his team is the only thing that interests him. “A player wants to be remembered for what he has won, for what he has given his club,” he said.
“Ten years after you stop playing you want to have medals, trophies. You may have a fantastic car and home but it’s not the same.”
He added that if he won the Premier League with Liverpool would be like winning the Euro 2008 with Spain.
“Winning the league here would be like winning the European Championship with Spain last year,” said Torres.
This is Torres’ third season at Liverpool and feels completely at home.
“It’s because Liverpool is a working city. At the weekend people go to watch their team at Anfield and watch the best team in the country,” he added.
“I had a lot of offers from a lot of clubs but I was always attracted to Liverpool because of the reputation of the people from the city, the club’s supporters and their history, and I wanted help make this one of the greatest clubs in the world again.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference