Spanish teams have a lot to learn from England clubs: Torres
Liverpool: Liverpool striker Fernando Torres said that rich Spanish clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona cannot match the standards of English Premier League clubs.
The Spaniard said, despite spending large sums of money this summer on good and experienced players, the La Liga sides still have a lot to learn from these English clubs.
“English football has an enormous following across the world, not just because of the players but because of its history, its tradition, the excitement, the capacity crowds,” Torres told Liverpool’s website.
“The other leagues can learn a lot, even La Liga. Madrid have signed Kaka and Ronaldo, and Barcelona have Xavi and Messi but, really, the Premier League is way ahead.”
Torres himself has spent six years in the Spanish arena with Atletico Madrid.
The 25 year old said that winning trophies for his team is the only thing that interests him. “A player wants to be remembered for what he has won, for what he has given his club,” he said.
“Ten years after you stop playing you want to have medals, trophies. You may have a fantastic car and home but it’s not the same.”
He added that if he won the Premier League with Liverpool would be like winning the Euro 2008 with Spain.
“Winning the league here would be like winning the European Championship with Spain last year,” said Torres.
This is Torres’ third season at Liverpool and feels completely at home.
“It’s because Liverpool is a working city. At the weekend people go to watch their team at Anfield and watch the best team in the country,” he added.
“I had a lot of offers from a lot of clubs but I was always attracted to Liverpool because of the reputation of the people from the city, the club’s supporters and their history, and I wanted help make this one of the greatest clubs in the world again.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday
- No water for OP Jaisha: Here's what Virat Kohli's former coach Rajkumar Sharma has to say about it
- Sonam Kapoor supports women entrepreneurs' exhibition