Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam honoured with award
Mumbai, Jan 04: Special public prosecutor in the 1993
serial blasts case, Ujjwal Nikam, was presented the 'honour of
Justice' Pradnya Award for his outstanding work during the
trial, in which 100 of the total 123 accused, including actor
Sanjay Dutt, were convicted by the court.
The award was handed over to him here yesterday by Chief
Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh at a function, also attended by
Union Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde.
Nikam, in his acceptance speech, said the delay in
execution of the death sentence awarded by the Supreme Court
to an accused was 'undesirable' since it sent out a wrong
message to society at large.
He also suggested a constitutional amendment whereby if
the President or the Governor of the state, who receive mercy
petition from accused on death row, but fail to clear the
petition within 4 to 5 years, the plea should stand cancelled
and the execution should be carried out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie