Special zoo authority tag for Borivli National Park: Hindustan Times
Nagpur: Borivli’s Sanjay Gandhi National Park has figured on the list of 196 recognised zoos and animal rescue centres in India.
The list, released by the Central Zoo Authority (CZA) on Friday, includes 13 such zoos and centres across the state.
Also, the animal orphanage in Gadchiroli district run by social activist Baba Amte’s son, Prakash, has been accorded the status of Animal Rescue Centre.
The CZA, which had directed authorities of various zoos and rescue centres to meet stipulated norms to earn the status, found that only 196 fulfiled the set criteria.
Dr Prakash Amte and his wife, Mandakini, run an animal orphanage that houses leopards, boars, hyenas, deer, crocodiles, wild cats among other animals.
The Forest Department had, as per CZA directives, served notices to Amte’s orphanage for ‘illegally’ keeping wild animals. It had ordered relocation of the animals to adequate and authorised places.
“Now we have developed cages and other facilities for the animals as per CZA norms and we have been given the rescue centre status,” said Amte.
The couple was conferred the Ramon Magsaysay award for community leadership.
In Maharashtra, other zoos and animal rescue centres which have found a place on CZA’s list are Maharajbagh Zoo in Nagpur, Aurangabad Municipal Zoo, Leopard Rescue Centre in Manikdoh Pune and Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park and Wildlife Research Centre in Pune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced