Special zoo authority tag for Borivli National Park: Hindustan Times
Nagpur: Borivli’s Sanjay Gandhi National Park has figured on the list of 196 recognised zoos and animal rescue centres in India.
The list, released by the Central Zoo Authority (CZA) on Friday, includes 13 such zoos and centres across the state.
Also, the animal orphanage in Gadchiroli district run by social activist Baba Amte’s son, Prakash, has been accorded the status of Animal Rescue Centre.
The CZA, which had directed authorities of various zoos and rescue centres to meet stipulated norms to earn the status, found that only 196 fulfiled the set criteria.
Dr Prakash Amte and his wife, Mandakini, run an animal orphanage that houses leopards, boars, hyenas, deer, crocodiles, wild cats among other animals.
The Forest Department had, as per CZA directives, served notices to Amte’s orphanage for ‘illegally’ keeping wild animals. It had ordered relocation of the animals to adequate and authorised places.
“Now we have developed cages and other facilities for the animals as per CZA norms and we have been given the rescue centre status,” said Amte.
The couple was conferred the Ramon Magsaysay award for community leadership.
In Maharashtra, other zoos and animal rescue centres which have found a place on CZA’s list are Maharajbagh Zoo in Nagpur, Aurangabad Municipal Zoo, Leopard Rescue Centre in Manikdoh Pune and Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park and Wildlife Research Centre in Pune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi