Spider silk may be the answer for artificial skin
Washington: The secret to creating artificial skin may lie in spider silk -- the toughest known natural material, scientists say.
Skin grafts are vital for treating burn victims and other patients and scientists were looking for a material that would be tolerated by the human body and can be used for a graft instead of skin from a body.
Materials investigated until now did not seem strong enough for the task. But a team of researchers in Germany now found that spider silk can be the most compatible material for the task, LiveScience reported.
The extraordinary strength and stretchiness of spider silk "are important factors for easy handling and transfer of many kinds of implants," said Hanna Wendt, a tissue engineer at the Medical School Hannover.
In addition, Wendt said, unlike silk from silkworms, that from spiders apparently does not trigger the body`s rejection reactions.
To test spider silk`s usefulness, first Wendt and her colleagues essentially milked golden silk orb-weaver spiders by stroking their silk glands and spooling up the silk fibers that came out.
They next wove meshes from this silk onto steel frames and found that human skin cells placed on these meshes could flourish, given proper nurturing with nutrients, warmth and air, the researchers reported in the journal PLoS ONE.
They were able to cultivate the two main skin cell types, keratinocytes and fibroblasts, into tissue-like patterns resembling epidermis, the outermost layer of skin, and dermis, the layer of living tissue below the epidermis that contains blood capillaries, nerve endings, sweat glands, hair follicles and other structures.
"It was impressive to observe how human cells use spider silk," Wendt said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley