Sponsorship controversy in EK Nayanar football tourney
Kannur: Controversy cropped up after a
leading liquor company put up advertisements on flex boards at
the town offering the buyers free tickets to Wednesday`s final
of EK Nayanar Memorial Gold Cup football tournament.
The controversy surfaced after event sponsors Kingfisher
group put up advertisements at a number of locations in this
town offering free tickets to those who buy two bottles of
Sharada, widow of veteran Marxist leader late EK Nayanar,
in whose memory the tournament is being organised, said that
she has urged the local party leadership to intervene into the
"The organising committee, chaired by party Central
Secretariat member E P Jayarajan, was in no way involved in
putting up of the flex boards," state CPI(M) said in a
"The boards were put up by the sponsors and the CPI(M)
has no role in bringing to disrepute the memory of the veteran
Marxist, who had long stint as the state`s Chief Minister,"
the statement read.
The CPI(M) has directed owners of the bars, near which
the advertisements were placed, to remove the boards with
immediate effect, the statement said.
A section of partymen has also expressed unhappiness over
the company "using the name of their leader to promote their
The local party leadership maintained that such a sports
event could not hosted without the support of sponsors and
there was nothing wrong in soliciting support from sponsors
like the Kingfisher group of companies, which had patronised
the tournament`s previous edition also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing