Spurs blight Arsenal`s title hopes with 2-1 win
London: Tottenham Hotspur dealt a potentially fatal blow to north London rivals Arsenal`s Premier League title hopes with a 2-1 win at White Hart Lane.
A superb Danny Rose volley and a second from Gareth Bale edged Nicklas Bendtner`s second half effort to hand Spurs a first league win over Arsene Wenger`s side in 11 years.
The defeat leaves third-placed Arsenal six points behind leaders Chelsea with four games remaining. Spurs stay fifth on 61 points, one behind Manchester City after 33 matches.
Wenger conceded his team`s title prospects were now remote but refused to give up the fight.
"As long as it`s mathematically not impossible you can not say impossible," he told Sky Sports. "Our job is to fight and we will do that."
Spurs manager Harry Rednapp added: "It`s about 11 years since we beat Arsenal so it was a great result for us. Sunday`s (FA Cup semi-final defeat) knocked us all for six to be honest, but we showed the character we`ve got at the club."
Elsewhere, seventh-placed Aston Villa salvaged a late 2-2 draw against Everton, who are in eighth spot. Tim Cahill headed in both Everton`s goals either side of Gabriel Agbonlahor`s second-half header before Phil Jagielka`s injury-time own goal levelled it.
At the bottom of the table, relegation-threatened Wigan Athletic were held 0-0 at home by already condemned Portsmouth to leave them five points clear of the drop zone in 16th place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days