Spurs sign French defender Bassong from Newcastle
London: Tottenham Hotspur have signed Newcastle United defender Sebastien Bassong, the Premier League club said on its website on Thursday.
The 23-year-old, who can play at left back and centre half, joins a Spurs team depleted by injuries to central defenders Jonathan Woodgate and Michael Dawson while long-suffering club captain Ledley King is also doubtful to start the season.
The former France under-21 international, who British media said was signed for 8 million pounds (USD 13.59 million), is serving a two-match ban held over from last season and cannot play in Tottenham`s opening league game at home to Liverpool.
Bassong moved to Newcastle in July 2008 from Ligue 1 side Metz where he played for three seasons. He made 34 appearances for Newcastle last term but despite being the north-east club`s Player of the Year could not stop them being relegated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...