Spurs sign French defender Bassong from Newcastle
London: Tottenham Hotspur have signed Newcastle United defender Sebastien Bassong, the Premier League club said on its website on Thursday.
The 23-year-old, who can play at left back and centre half, joins a Spurs team depleted by injuries to central defenders Jonathan Woodgate and Michael Dawson while long-suffering club captain Ledley King is also doubtful to start the season.
The former France under-21 international, who British media said was signed for 8 million pounds (USD 13.59 million), is serving a two-match ban held over from last season and cannot play in Tottenham`s opening league game at home to Liverpool.
Bassong moved to Newcastle in July 2008 from Ligue 1 side Metz where he played for three seasons. He made 34 appearances for Newcastle last term but despite being the north-east club`s Player of the Year could not stop them being relegated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?