Srebotnik, Nestor win Australian Open mixed doubles title
Melbourne: Katarina Srebotnik and Daniel Nestor teamed up to dash hopes of at least one local champion at the Australian Open by winning the mixed doubles title on Sunday.
Slovenian Srebotnik and Canadian Nestor edged Australia`s Paul Hanley and Chan Yung-jan of Taiwan 6-3, 3-6 (10-7) after a super tie breaker on Rod Laver Arena.
Srebotnik had won four previous grand slam mixed doubles titles -- the last two with Nenad Zimonjic -- but it was her first at the Australian Open and a first with Nestor.
"She`s already dumped me for the next grand slam to go back to her regular partner so this was my one chance and I`m glad I took it," joked Nestor, who won the title here in 2007 with Elena Likhovtseva.
While Hanley had been hoping to give the locals something to cheer, Chan would have been Taiwan`s first grand slam champion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing