Sri Lanka`s highest court rules out impeachment
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s highest court Thursday ruled the impeachment process of the chief justice as unconstitutional, deepening a crisis between parliament and judiciary.
The ruling by the Supreme Court and read out by the president of the Court of Appeal emphasized that the Parliament Select Committee (PSC) appointed to probe charges against the Chief Justice has "no legal power or authority", reports Xinhua.
"The lordships have decreed that the process that was used to impeach her Ladyship the chief justice is illegal and unconstitutional because it violates basic principles of the constitution," lawyer Deshmal Warnasuriya told reporters.
He noted that under the latest order, the PSC as well as the impeachment process becomes unconstitutional and illegal.
The impeachment process of Sri Lanka`s first woman Chief Justice, Shirani Bandaranayake, over alleged financial irregularities, began in November when a PSC was appointed to probe 14 charges against her.
However, the PSC soon ran into controversy over its conduct with members being accused of blatant bias.
Key among the criticisms leveled against the committee was the refusal to grant Bandaranayake enough time to present arguments on the charges against her and cross-examine witnesses.
On Dec 6 Bandaranayake stormed out of the PSC hearings saying she was not being given a fair trial.
There are also allegations that she was insulted and called a "mad woman" by government PSC members.
Citing bias, the four opposition members of the PSC resigned after seven hearings. But undeterred, the government pushed through with the hearings eventually finding the chief justice guilty of three charges.
Subsequently, Bandaranayake filed charges against the PSC at the Court of Appeal insisting that the process was unfair and therefore illegal.
Analysts insist it is highly unlikely the government will adhere to the Supreme Court ruling as Speaker Chamal Rakapaksa, brother of the country`s president, has already stated that parliament was supreme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe