SSCB continue good run at National Games shooting
Ranchi: Services Sports Control Board (SSCB) shooters remained on course to bag the overall title as they added two gold on the penultimate day of the shooting competition in the 34th National Games here on Sunday.
But the day belonged to both Services’ Gurpreet Singh and Punjab’s Heena Singh with the duo claiming one individual and one team gold each as the Armymen led the medal standings in shooting with 12 gold, eight silver and four bronze with Maharashtra on the second spot.
Heena clinched individual gold in 10m women’s air pistol with a record score as the day also witnessed another new mark by Vijay Kumar in the qualification round of 25m rapid fire pistol.
But Kumar failed in the final series to return empty-handed as his fellowmate Gurpreet Singh shot 572 (29), Haryana’s Harpreet Singh with 564 (24) and Madhya Pradesh’s Mahendar Singh 566 (20) grabbed the top three spots.
Vijay Kumar shot 581 in the qualification to improve his four year old record of 578 in Guwahati.
However the top score by Kumar ensured Services the team the gold medal as he along with Gurpreet Singh and Pemba Tamang logged 1730.
Haryana trio of Rahul Panwar, Harpreet Singh and Yogesh Singh (1680) and Madhya Pradesh’s Mahendra Singh, Poonam Kumar Choudhary and Toshit Kumar with 1649 won the silver and bronze.
Punjab’s Heena Sindhu shot 386 in the qualification round to eclipse four year old mark of Sonia Rai (383) while in the final she totalled 489.4 which broke 481.8 by Annu Raj Singh in the Guwahati Nationals (2007).
Maharashtra’s Jivan Rahi Sarnobat shot 479.4 (380+99.4) and HP’s Sonia Rai logged 477.8 (378+99.8) for the second and third spots.
The trio of Heena Sindhu, Harveen Sarao and Lakhbir Kaur Sindhu totalled 1135 to earn PUnjab the team gold, while Maharashtra’s Jivan Rahi Sarnobhat, Shreya Sanjay Gawande and Shital Thorat (1122) and Haryana’s Annu Raj Singh, Shweta chaudhary and Anisa Sayyed (1120) bagged the silver and bronze.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani