State units wanted discussion on Azhar issue: Verma
Chennai: After being re-elected as the Badminton Association of India President for fourth successive term, VK Verma on Sunday conceded that majority of the state units wanted a discussion on former cricketer Mohd Azharuddin’s last-minute withdrawal from the poll.
“Although there was a request from the 22 affiliated units for a discussion on the Azharuddin affair, I appealed to the AGM to close the issue and it was agreed to,” Verma said.
The cricketer-turned-politician failed to present his nomination papers and was reportedly not even in the town, paving the way for Verma’s re-election.
The AGM also nominated national coach Pullela Gopichand and former shuttler Ami Ghia as players’ representatives to its Executive Committee with voting rights.
“The former All England champion (Gopichand) was retained as the chief national coach for another term of four years and has been co-opted to the BAI Executive Committee with full voting rights along with the former women’s national champion (Ghia),” Verma said.
In order to provide effective functioning of the BAI, two more General Secretary posts have been created as the workload is increasing in the Federation, Verma said.
Besides, the AGM also put its stamp of approval on Hemant Biswas Sharma as the vice-president named three Secretaries – Dr Filha, Omar Rashid and Punnaiah Choudhary.
Six of the eight vice-presidents retained their office, while the two new vice-presidents are Arvind Singhal and O D Sharma, who replaced Dilip Ghosh and Manek Saha respectively, Verma said.
R Kalsi of Punjab was retained as the BAI treasurer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened