Stem Cell breakthrough in India’s Kolkata hospital
Kolkata: In what can be stated to be a huge feat for India, stem cell treatment in a Kolkata hospital threw it further into limelight.
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Cancer Research Institute carried out a remarkable transplant from an unrelated donor on Sunday. Cord blood from an infant was transferred to a patient Amal Majumdar who was suffering from aplastic anaemia.
Aplastic anaemia is a condition where bone marrow does not produce sufficient new cells to replenish blood cells.
Japan was the first to break this barrier whose success rate so far has been 80%.
According to the director of the institute, Ashish Mukherjee, “This is a path-breaking event because neither the patient’s blood group nor HLA matched with the new born girl whose stem cells are about to give Amal a new lease of life.Since cord blood stem cells have less antigenic property, they can be used without a blood group or genetic match. But for bone marrow transplant we need an HLA match.”
What is amazing is that while the donor’s blood group is A+, the recipient’s is O+.
Doctors say that it’ll take a year for the patient to fully recuperate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert