Stern action against corruption in CWG: Delhi CM
New Delhi: Amid allegations of corruption
involving Commonwealth Games projects, Delhi Chief Minister
Shiela Dikshit on Sunday warned that anybody found guilty would
face stern action.
Under attack for rubbles still piled up across the city
in connection with the Games preparations, she apologised to
citizens for the "inconvenience".
"Lot of criticism have been there with regard to CWG
preparation. If there is corruption we will find out who is
responsible and take stern action against them whoever they
are -- central government or Delhi government officials or any
others...," Dikshit said, after unfurling the tri-colour
during the Independence Day Celebrations here.
The comments came in the wake of charges of corruption
and irregularities in the CWG projects. The Opposition BJP had
also alleged that the Delhi government diverted funds meant
for welfare of Scheduled Castes to the Games.
"For the last three to four months, Delhiites had
suffered due to the construction works undergoing in the city.
I apologise to the citizens for this. But if we have to
achieve something, then we have to sacrifice..," she said.
The Chief Minister assured that the fortnight-long event
from October 3 to 14 will be the finest in the history of the
Games despite the controversies surrounding it.
"The event will be finest in the history of the Games. We
have to prove that we are not behind anyone. For this the
citizens and the government have to work together," she said.
Dikshit has been under attack from various quarters for
the delay in completion of key projects worth over Rs 10,000
crore. She had last month set August 31 as deadline for
completing all the projects linked to the event.
Various key Games projects, including the Barapullah
Nallah elevated road, UP Link road and projects related to
street-scaping works, have missed several deadlines and now
questions are being raised whether they will be completed
before the final deadline of August 31, set by Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days