Stimulus effect: Fisc deficit up at Rs 1.97 lakh cr till Sept
New Delhi: The government`s fiscal deficit rose 92 percent to Rs 1.97 lakh crore in six months ending September mainly on account of higher spending and revenue sacrifices made to prop up the economy.
However, the government was aware of the increase in
fiscal deficit this fiscal and projected it to rise to 6.8 percent of GDP this fiscal. As such, for the first half, fiscal
deficit was 49.3 percent of the estimates for the entire
The Centre`s revenues stood at Rs 2.51 lakh crore, and
expenditure ballooned to Rs 4.48 lakh crore during the first
half of this fiscal, leading to a rise in fiscal deficit.
The Government had announced tax cuts only since December
last, so fiscal deficit till September was way down. It was
only after December that fiscal deficit started rising
alarmingly and touched 6.2 percent of GDP last fiscal from
the budgeted estimates of 2.5 percent.
Besides, it stepped up expenditure to give boost to the
economy. Expenditure this fiscal is pegged at over Rs 10 lakh
crore for the first time in Indian history.
Even as the first six months have passed, direct and
indirect taxes fetched only 39.2 percent of the estimates for
the entire fiscal.
Tax revenues are expected to rise more in the latter part
of the fiscal, as the economy recovers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- US, North Korea trade barbs over nuclear weapon tests
- Palestinians seek to sue Britain over 1917 vow to Jews
- PM Modi should also be suspended from House for 'inviting ISI to Pathankot', says AAP MP Bhagwant Mann
- MASSIVE! Italian giants Juventus complete USD 104 million transfer of Gonzalo Higuain from Napoli
- Odisha govt has "nexus" with Maoists: BJP probe team