Stimulus to continue as world not completely out of crisis: PM
Cha-Am-Hua Hin (Thailand): Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday said stimulus measures announced to help
the economy to combat the global crisis would continue as
world economy is still not completely out of trouble.
"It is too early to say whether we are completely out of
trouble," Singh said, adding, "time not ripe for withdrawal of
The Prime Minister was in the Thai resort to participate in
the twin summits of Association of Southeast Asian Nations
(ASEAN) and East Asian leaders.
Indian government had announced three stimulus packages
to boost the economy reeling under the impact of the global
meltdown, which was triggered by the collapse of America`s
iconic investment banker Lehman Brothers.
The government had pumped in about Rs 3 lakh crore in
2008-09 and 2009-10, besides providing host of tax concessions
to the industry. In addition to the fiscal measures, the
Reserve Bank made available about Rs 2 lakh crore to help the
The issues concerning withdrawal of stimulus packages
were also discussed at the ASEAN meeting and the global
leaders were for a balanced approach.
The Prime Minister, however, parried questions on
interest rates and RBI`s upcoming monetary policy saying it is
the "preserve" of the RBI.
Singh said RBI is an independent body and he would not
like to comment. The Reserve Bank is slated to announce the
quarterly review of the monetary policy on October 27.
India and ASEAN had agreed to expedite trade agreement in
services as part of efforts to broad base the Free Trade
"We must learn lessons from the global economic crisis.
One of these is the need to ensure coordination in our growth
policies. The other is to keep the real economy strong and
sound," he said.
Following the global crisis, the economic growth rate of
India slipped to 6.7 per cent during 2008-09 from 9 per cent
in the previous fiscal.
As regards the current year, the projections are that
growth rate may further slip to 6.5 per cent. The economy
expanded by 6.1 per cent during the first quarter of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks