Stone age humans took 2 mn years to develop brain power
London: Stone age humans took nearly two million years to develop the brain power to make sophisticated tools like hand-held stone axes, a new study has claimed.
Researchers at the Imperial College London have found that the early humans needed so long to produce advanced implements because the ability to handle complex thought was
a slow evolution.
According to the researchers, the ability to form language and to design advanced tools occurs in the same part of the brain and so these skills were likely to have developed
in humans at around the same time.
Lead researcher Dr Aldo Faisal was quoted by the `Daily Express` as saying, "The advance from crude stone tools to elegant hand-held axes was a massive leap for our
The study, published in the `PLoS One` journal, employed a craftsman called a flintnapper to copy ancient tool -making techniques while being monitored.
Computer modelling using tiny sensors embedded in a "data glove" assessed the hand skills needed to make a crude sharp stone from the Lower Palaeolithic period, which began around 2.5 million years ago, and then a hand-held stone axe dating from near the end of the period.
Dr Faisal said: "We found there was no difference between hand movements for a two-million-year-old tool and the 200,000-year-old tool.
"So it is highly likely it was brain function and not dexterity limitations holding back prehistoric man. We also found that when creating the hand-held axe a part of the brain
associated with language lit up."
Computer tool mapping will now investigate modern tools to improve designs. Dr Faisal said: "As we get older, we are slower, more fragile and find it more difficult to use
tools. This technique can discover what tools are easier to use and pass this information to manufacturers."
In the future, the scientists also plan to use their technology to compare tools made by Neanderthals, an extinct ancestor of humans, to glean insights into their brain
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note