New Delhi: Upping the ante, municipal
contractors observing a tool-down strike for nearly two weeks
today threatened to stop work on MCD projects linked to the
Commonwealth Games if their dues pending for months were not
paid by the civic body.
The contractors had been on strike since July 21 but
had kept the Games works outside their purview keeping
"national interests" in mind.
Delhi Municipal Contractors Association president
Sunil Vohra said a demonstration will be held in the MCD
headquarters in Town Hall on Wednesday in which hundreds of
contractors, including those engaged in Games works, will take
"While we have not been paid our dues for the last 18
months, many Games contractors have also not got payment for
five months. We want to send a message that work on Games
projects can also be stopped if our dues are not cleared,"
The contractors have also stopped the work of lifting
construction waste in trucks and removed all their vehicles
from MCD stores. MCD officials said payment will be soon be
released, but Vohra said the strike will not be withdrawn "on
basis of assurance, but on basis of payment".
The cash-strapped MCD is struggling to make payments
to project contractors as well as give arrears of Sixth Pay
Commission to its employees.
However, Vohra said the civic body had received Rs
2,100 crore from various sources recently. "Earlier, there was
a financial problem. But now at least they should pay. We have
nearly Rs 650 crore in dues," he said.