Stylish England crush Croatia to reach World Cup
London: Superb England demolished Croatia 5-1 and stormed into next year`s World Cup finals after making it eight wins out of eight in Group Six qualifying at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday.
Two goals each from Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard and one from Wayne Rooney avenged their heartbreaking 3-2 defeat by Croatia on a rainy night at Wembley 22 months ago, a result that cost them a place at Euro 2008.
England have qualified with 24 points from their eight games, with Croatia left in second place on 17 points with one match to play.
They are ahead of Ukraine on 15 points, who have two matches to play after drawing 0-0 with Belarus on Wednesday.
While the group winners qualify for the finals directly, the eight best second-placed teams from the nine European groups go through to two-legged play-offs for the four remaining places.
Fabio Capello`s re-modelled side took control of the game from the start and never relinquished it.
Lampard scored with a seventh minute penalty and a 59th minute header while Gerrard scored with two excellent headers after 18 and 66 minutes.
Rooney added a fifth 13 minutes from time to put England into the finals with two matches to spare and send most of the 87,000 crowd inside the stadium wild with delight.
Croatia, without injured first choice keeper Stipe Pletikosa and playmaker Luka Modric, plus the suspended defender Vedran Corluka, were a shadow of the team that won at Wembley in 2007 and all they had to cheer was a consolation goal from Eduardo da Silva after 71 minutes.
The match was effectively settled through Lampard`s penalty and Gerrard`s first well-directed header.
Aaron Lennon inspired England`s glittering start, playing a significant part in both opening goals.
His run into the Croatia box was halted by Josip Simunic for the penalty. He then provided the perfect cross for Gerrard`s header 11 minutes later and constantly bamboozled the Croatian defenders with his blistering pace.
England dominated the opening 45 minutes and could have scored five before the break.
Emile Heskey, preferred to the free-scoring Jermain Defoe, worked tirelessly linking attack and midfield but wasted two superb chances just before half-time.
England made light of those misses but despite their dominance they could not keep a clean sheet.
Robert Green, who hardly had a save to make in England`s goal all match, was beaten when he parried two goalbound efforts but was powerless to stop Eduardo pouncing from close-range.
Rooney wrapped up the victory with his 25th England goal after keeper Vedran Runje miskicked a clearance giving him the simplest of opportunities to fire into an empty net.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt