Stylish England crush Croatia to reach World Cup
London: Superb England demolished Croatia 5-1 and stormed into next year`s World Cup finals after making it eight wins out of eight in Group Six qualifying at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday.
Two goals each from Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard and one from Wayne Rooney avenged their heartbreaking 3-2 defeat by Croatia on a rainy night at Wembley 22 months ago, a result that cost them a place at Euro 2008.
England have qualified with 24 points from their eight games, with Croatia left in second place on 17 points with one match to play.
They are ahead of Ukraine on 15 points, who have two matches to play after drawing 0-0 with Belarus on Wednesday.
While the group winners qualify for the finals directly, the eight best second-placed teams from the nine European groups go through to two-legged play-offs for the four remaining places.
Fabio Capello`s re-modelled side took control of the game from the start and never relinquished it.
Lampard scored with a seventh minute penalty and a 59th minute header while Gerrard scored with two excellent headers after 18 and 66 minutes.
Rooney added a fifth 13 minutes from time to put England into the finals with two matches to spare and send most of the 87,000 crowd inside the stadium wild with delight.
Croatia, without injured first choice keeper Stipe Pletikosa and playmaker Luka Modric, plus the suspended defender Vedran Corluka, were a shadow of the team that won at Wembley in 2007 and all they had to cheer was a consolation goal from Eduardo da Silva after 71 minutes.
The match was effectively settled through Lampard`s penalty and Gerrard`s first well-directed header.
Aaron Lennon inspired England`s glittering start, playing a significant part in both opening goals.
His run into the Croatia box was halted by Josip Simunic for the penalty. He then provided the perfect cross for Gerrard`s header 11 minutes later and constantly bamboozled the Croatian defenders with his blistering pace.
England dominated the opening 45 minutes and could have scored five before the break.
Emile Heskey, preferred to the free-scoring Jermain Defoe, worked tirelessly linking attack and midfield but wasted two superb chances just before half-time.
England made light of those misses but despite their dominance they could not keep a clean sheet.
Robert Green, who hardly had a save to make in England`s goal all match, was beaten when he parried two goalbound efforts but was powerless to stop Eduardo pouncing from close-range.
Rooney wrapped up the victory with his 25th England goal after keeper Vedran Runje miskicked a clearance giving him the simplest of opportunities to fire into an empty net.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!