Subsidy on seeds hiked to Rs 288 cr; rainfall deficit down
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday announced
increasing subsidy on seeds of different crops to Rs 288 crore
to mitigate the impact of drought and expressed hope that
kharif losses are made up to some extent, especially now that
rainfall has improved.
"We have decided to distribute good quality seeds in time
to farmers and have stepped up subsidy to the extent of Rs 288
crore so that farmers get subsidy directly, which will get
reflected in the pricing of seeds," Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee told reporters after the first meeting of the
Empowered Group of Ministers on drought.
Mukherjee noted that rainfall deficiency has reduced to
26 per cent from earlier 36-37 per cent. "The recent rain has
improved the situation to some extent though still there is
deficiency. Earlier, it was apprenhended that deficit would be
to the extent of 36-37 per cent but now with the recent rains
it has come down to 26 per cent.
As many as 246 districts out of 600-plus districts in the
country have been declared drought-affected.
"The timely measures which we have taken to protect the
standing kharif crops in some states have yielded results. But
what would be final outcome could be assessed after the
harvest," Mukherjee said.
Besides Mukherjee, other members of EGoM --Agriculture
Minister Sharad Pawar, Home Minister P Chidambaram, Railway
Minister Mamata Banerjee, Rural Development Minister C P
Joshi, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora and Deputy Chairman of
Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia --also who attended
When contacted Agriculture Commissioner N B Singh told
a news agency that the subsidy on prices of pulse seeds will be raised
to Rs 2,000 per quintal from the current Rs 1,300.
Similarly, some subsidy would be offered on wheat seeds,
Singh added without, however, elaborating on the details about
those of other crops.
The Centre has over 15 lakh tonnes of surplus seeds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'