Subsidy on seeds hiked to Rs 288 cr; rainfall deficit down
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday announced
increasing subsidy on seeds of different crops to Rs 288 crore
to mitigate the impact of drought and expressed hope that
kharif losses are made up to some extent, especially now that
rainfall has improved.
"We have decided to distribute good quality seeds in time
to farmers and have stepped up subsidy to the extent of Rs 288
crore so that farmers get subsidy directly, which will get
reflected in the pricing of seeds," Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee told reporters after the first meeting of the
Empowered Group of Ministers on drought.
Mukherjee noted that rainfall deficiency has reduced to
26 per cent from earlier 36-37 per cent. "The recent rain has
improved the situation to some extent though still there is
deficiency. Earlier, it was apprenhended that deficit would be
to the extent of 36-37 per cent but now with the recent rains
it has come down to 26 per cent.
As many as 246 districts out of 600-plus districts in the
country have been declared drought-affected.
"The timely measures which we have taken to protect the
standing kharif crops in some states have yielded results. But
what would be final outcome could be assessed after the
harvest," Mukherjee said.
Besides Mukherjee, other members of EGoM --Agriculture
Minister Sharad Pawar, Home Minister P Chidambaram, Railway
Minister Mamata Banerjee, Rural Development Minister C P
Joshi, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora and Deputy Chairman of
Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia --also who attended
When contacted Agriculture Commissioner N B Singh told
a news agency that the subsidy on prices of pulse seeds will be raised
to Rs 2,000 per quintal from the current Rs 1,300.
Similarly, some subsidy would be offered on wheat seeds,
Singh added without, however, elaborating on the details about
those of other crops.
The Centre has over 15 lakh tonnes of surplus seeds.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani