Subway displaces McD as largest restaurant chain
Houston: Subway has surpassed McDonalds to become the largest restaurant chain on the planet and is now spread out more globally than McDonald`s.
The sandwich chain surpassed the world`s largest hamburger chain in terms of number of stores in the US in 2002 and now it has taken the global lead.
According to information released by the Securities and Exchange Commission last month, Subway has a total of 33,749 restaurants around the world, compared to McDonald`s 32,737.
The number of Subway restaurants is expected to increase, since the company plans to establish other branches in strategic locations around the world.
One of these locations is in China, since the company views this country as one of the greatest consumer markets on the globe right now.
The expansion was also brought about by growing unemployment in the US.
As a result, Subway has targeted overseas markets in order to ensure that the company`s welfare is preserved.
Since the demand for sandwiches in the US is quite limited, Subway still continues to look for other locations where they can set up additional chains.
However, the growing number of Subway restaurant overseas does not earn enough revenue to outpace McDonalds, which still holds the top position as the world`s largest restaurant chain in terms of sales.
"We`ve been on a great run," said Tony Pace, the chief marketing officer of Subway`s Franchisee Advertising Fund Trust, the franchisees organisation under the company`s umbrella.
Subway is entirely franchisee-owned. That has been part of its success, Pace said.
Its smaller-format stores cost less to open and operate than other chain restaurants.
The company`s emphasis on cost-control, marketing and advertising has also helped grow the brand.
Subway, like many restaurant chains, is making a major push in international markets.
McDonald`s, however, remains the industry`s revenue champion. The company, which is also heavily franchise-oriented but still has company stores, reported USD 24 billion in revenue for the last fiscal year.
Subway generated roughly USD 15.2 billion, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.
Subway, which is based Milford, Connecticut, is owned by privately held Doctor`s Associates Inc. and does not publicly disclose its financial figures.
McDonald`s, based in Oak Brook, Illinois, said in a statement it is still growing but it has made a "concerted effort over the past couple of years on getting better, rather than getting bigger."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly