Sudha settles for silver, Tintu gets bronze
Kobe (Japan): India grabbed a silver and bronze through Sudha Singh and Tintu Luka respectively on the final day to end their Asian Athletics Championships campaign with just one gold, two silver and seven bronze medals on Sunday.
Sudha, who was bidding to become the first woman to win both Asian Games and Asian Championships, clocked 10:08.52sec, in 3000m steeplechase -- well below her national record timing of 10:10.77secs which she clocked at Guangzhou last year.
A 38-year-old Minori Hayakari of Japan won the gold with a new championship record timing of 9:52.42sec. Thi Phuong Nguyen of Vietnam took bronze in 10:14.94s.
It was yet again a case of Luka failing to win gold in a big international event as she finished third in 800m race with a timing of 2:02.55secs -- well below her national record timing of 1:59.17 which she set last year.
Luka, who had won a bronze in the Asian Games also, made a strong challenge to eventual gold and silver winners Thanh Hang Truong (2:01.41s) of Vietnam and Margarita Matsko (2:02.46) of Kazakhstan towards the end of the race but that was not enough.
Ghamanda Ram gave India a bronze in men`s 800m as he finally managed to live up to his potential of being among the best in Asia by winning his maiden Asian Championship medal in personal best timing of 1:46.36s.
Mohamed Mutlak Al-Azimi of Kuwait won the gold in 1:46.15secs to become the only athlete to win both 800 and 1500m at the same Asian Championship.
Al-Azimi, who is in tremendous form this season, beat defending champion Sajad Moradi of Iran who finished on the second place with 1:46.35s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!