Sugar industry hails govt`s move to check prices of sweetener
New Delhi: The sugar industry on Wednesday hailed various steps taken by the government to increase the availability of the sweetener in domestic market, saying the decisions are in the right direction.
"There is a deficit of sugar in the country. The government has put provisions in place to increase the availability of sweetener in the market," Indian Sugar Mills Association President Vivek Saraogi told PTI.
The government`s decisions such as allowing processing of imported raw sugar in other states as there is a ban imposed by the Uttar Pradesh government and extension of duty-free white sugar import deadline till December 2010 are on the right track, he said.
Industry body FICCI also welcomed the government`s moves to augment sugar and other food items to contain rising food inflation, which has touched nearly 20 per cent. Sugar prices have more than doubled to Rs 45 a kg since January last year.
Besides sugar, the Cabinet Committee on Prices on Wednesday also decided to offload 2-3 million tonnes of wheat and rice in the open market. It has asked cooperative major Nafed and NCCF to sell 7 lakh tonnes of wheat and rice through their outlets.
"FCCI is convinced that concerted action for enhancement of supplies and coordination among state governments should help overcome supply disruptions and shortages, thereby easing pressure on prices," the industry chamber said.
Sugar production from domestically grown sugarcane is pegged at 16 million tonnes, while annual demand is at 23 million tonnes. The gap is being met through imports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested