Sugar industry hails govt`s move to check prices of sweetener
New Delhi: The sugar industry on Wednesday hailed various steps taken by the government to increase the availability of the sweetener in domestic market, saying the decisions are in the right direction.
"There is a deficit of sugar in the country. The government has put provisions in place to increase the availability of sweetener in the market," Indian Sugar Mills Association President Vivek Saraogi told PTI.
The government`s decisions such as allowing processing of imported raw sugar in other states as there is a ban imposed by the Uttar Pradesh government and extension of duty-free white sugar import deadline till December 2010 are on the right track, he said.
Industry body FICCI also welcomed the government`s moves to augment sugar and other food items to contain rising food inflation, which has touched nearly 20 per cent. Sugar prices have more than doubled to Rs 45 a kg since January last year.
Besides sugar, the Cabinet Committee on Prices on Wednesday also decided to offload 2-3 million tonnes of wheat and rice in the open market. It has asked cooperative major Nafed and NCCF to sell 7 lakh tonnes of wheat and rice through their outlets.
"FCCI is convinced that concerted action for enhancement of supplies and coordination among state governments should help overcome supply disruptions and shortages, thereby easing pressure on prices," the industry chamber said.
Sugar production from domestically grown sugarcane is pegged at 16 million tonnes, while annual demand is at 23 million tonnes. The gap is being met through imports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in