Sukhbir, Amarinder trade charges against each other
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal President
Sukhbir Singh Badal on Sunday claimed that the Congress will face
its worst-ever defeat in tomorrow`s assembly polls and it will
mark the end of the political career of former Chief Minister
In a statement on the eve of polling, Badal said that
Amarinder had already announced his retirement plans. "We will
give him a royal fair well," said the Punjab deputy Chief
Badal said that the SAD-BJP alliance is set to return to
power with greatly improved figure to serve the people of
Punjab for another five years.
Badal said that his party and the alliance partner are
fully geared to storm their way back to government and change
the 64 old history of an incumbent not returning to power.
"We have changed history already. Never in the past did
people ever think just 12 hours before the elections is to
start that those in government will come back. This time even
our critics are depicting a close fight. That by itself is
proof that history has already been changed," he said.
The visibility of development in Punjab over the past five
years has been so strong that we are sure that people will not
even listen to outdated slogans of the opposition, he said.
Meanwhile, Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President
Amarinder appealed to the voters to exercise their franchise
cautiously to ensure that the state got a good and clean
government which is not corrupt and which does not
resort to vendetta.
He questioned the claims of the Akali-BJP government about
the development in the state, saying had it really been so,
the state would not have added seven lakh more families living
below poverty line and would not have a cumulative debt of Rs
1.72 lakh crores.
"Yes, the Badal family and their close relatives have
really made immense progress themselves by multiplying their
wealth, constructing two seven star luxury hotels in Gurgaon,
setting up an airline company, and launching television
channels," Amarinder alleged.
He asked the people to compare the performance of the
Akali-BJP government during 2007 to 2012 with that of the
Congress between 2002 and 207. "Think before you vote," he
said, adding, "ask yourself whether any of the promises made
by the Akali-BJP alliance has been kept."
Meanwhile, Amarinder asked some questions to Parkash
Singh Badal, saying people of Punjab wanted to know the
answers since he was seeking a fifth term as Chief Minister.
He demanded Badal`s reply on questions ranging from his
wealth to dual constitution of his party to his claims about
development of the state.
Why SAD has two constitutions -- one for the SGPC
elections where it claims itself to be a panthic party, and
another for parliamentary and assembly elections in which it
claims to be a secular party, the Congress leader asked.
He also asked Badal as to why did he "burn the copies of
the Constitution of India in New Delhi in May 1984 and whether
he had any regrets about that".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India