Sukhbir Singh Badal sworn in as Punjab`s Deputy CM for 2nd time
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD)
president Sukhbir Singh Badal was on Monday sworn-in as Deputy
Chief Minister of Punjab for the second time this year,
becoming second in command to his father and Chief Minister
Parkash Singh Badal.
Unlike his swearing in function in January, which was
organised at Amritsar with much fanfare, today`s function was
kept a low key affair at the Raj Bhawan here where the 47-year-old was administered the oath of office and secrecy by
Governor SF Rodrigues.
He had to resign last month as he failed to get
elected to the state assembly within six months of his being
sworn in as the Deputy Chief Minister.
He cleared the legal hurdle last week having been
elected to the Assembly from Jalalabad in a by-election.
Dressed in his traditional kurta-pyjama the junior
Badal took the oath in Punjabi.
Besides Badal, the oath taking ceremony was attended
by the Chief Minister`s cabinet colleagues and BJP leaders
from the state among others.
With his induction in his father`s government,
Sukhbir`s elevation became the rare instance in India`s
political history where a father-son duo will hold the top two
jobs in a Government at the same time.
Sukhbir had defeated Congress rival Hans Raj Joshan by
over a record margin of 80,000 votes in the by-polls to the
Jalalabad Assembly seat, paving way for his re-appointment.
The portfolio of Sukhbir, who re-claimed the high
profile job of Punjab`s Deputy Chief Minister, are likely to
be crucial departments of Home, Information and Public
Relations and Youth Affairs, which were with him during his
brief stint at the post for about six months earlier, sources
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician