‘Sultanpur admin filed "false" report on Amethi’
Lucknow: A member of National Women Commission on Friday charged the Sultanpur district administration in Uttar Pradesh with furnishing a false report on lathicharge on residents in Amethi, Lok Sabha constituency of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, during a protest against power crisis on July 13.
"Sultanpur district magistrate in his report sent to
the NCW claimed that no woman was injured in the police
lathicharge on July 13 whereas the Commission`s team which had
visited Amethi yesterday found that 13 women sustained
injuries in the police action," NCW member and chairperson of
the inquiry committee Neeva Konwari told reporters here.
She said a team of NCW had visited Amethi, where
people were lathicharged during a protest against power crisis
on July 13, yesterday and met the victims.
"Though the then DM Santhosh Kumar Srivastava claimed
that not a single woman was injured in the incident,
Additional DM Radhey Shyam told the committee that 39 people
appeared before him who claimed that they were injured in the
lathicharge of which 13 were women," she said.
Konwari said the committee members later met 13 women
who presented their medical report and prespcriptions to them.
The NCW members also accused the state government of
non-cooperation claiming required facilities were not extended
to the committee members as per the protocol.
"Our secretary was told that in the wake of the model
code of conduct in vogue due to bye-election for one assembly
seat in Lucknow, these facilities cannot be extended", she
Konwari said she will be submitting her report within
a week`s time to the Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read