Suma returns after lay-off with a bang
Pune: World record holder Suma Shirur returned to competitive shooting after a long lay-off with a bang by firing 397 out of 400 in the women`s 10m air rifle event at the Gun For Glory Shooting championship at the Balewadi Ranges on Saturday.
Suma, who is based in Panvel near Mumbai, was the best of the lot finding 32 inner 10s. But she was given a tough fight by Pune youngster Priya Agarwal who matched her with 397 though with 26 bulls eyes to leave two-time Olympian Anjali Bhagwat in the third place with 394.
World Cupper Lajja Gauswami was at fifth with a sedate 392.
Railways shooter Suma had two 100s in the series and one 99 and 98 that put her in strong contention for the top of the podium finish. Priya too had a 100 and three 99s while Anjali could not find a perfect score.
In the 10m air pistol event, Olympic hopeful Heena Sidhu of Punjab shot 387 out of 400 to leave London Olympics qualifier Annu Raj Singh of Air India, who shot 382, in distant second place.
In third place was Neha Tokas of Delhi after a qualification rounds of 380.
Another Olympic quota holder Rahi Sarnobat was also off the boil and was placed fourth after a qualification series of 378.
In men`s 10m Air Pistol, World Cupper Omkar Singh of Navy led the field with a total of 578 while Vijay Singh of Army was second at 576 followed by Gurpreet Singh, also of Army, who shot 575.
In men`s 10m Air Rifle event, Armyman Aribam Sharma got the better of World Cupper P T Raghunath of Navy by two shots.
Sharma fired 593 with one 100 and though Raghunath had two 100s, his round was spoiled as he opened the contest with a 96. In comparison, Sharma had opened with 99 and carried on scoring the same score twice before he found the lone 100. Two 98s later on defined his day.
Men: 10m Air Rifle (leading, top 8): 1. Aribam Sharma (Army) 593, 2. PT Raghunath (Navy) 591, 3. Ramesh Mali (Mah) 590, 4. Chain Singh (Army) 589, 5. Sameer Ambekar (Rlys) 587, 6. Bibaswan Ganguly (DGQA) 586, 7. Jaskaranjeet Singh (Pun) 584, 8. Kanhaiya Babar (Mah) 584.
10m Air Pistol (leading, top 8): 1. Omkar Singh (Navy) 578, 2. Vijay Singh (Army) 576, 3. Gurpreet Singh (Army) 575, 4. Deepak Sharma (AI) 575, 5. Vijay Kumar SM (Army) 573, 6. Charanjit Singh (Army) 572, 7. Jitendra Vibhute (Rlys) 572, 8. Naresh Kumar (Navy) 568.
Women: 10m Air Rifle (leading, top 8): 1. Suma Shirur (Rlys) 397, 2. Priya Agarwal (Rlys) 397, 3. Anjali Bhagwat (Mah) 394, 4. Neha Sapte (Mah) 393, 5. Lajja Gauswami (Guj) 392, 6. Shalini Chahar (UP) 391, 7. Supriya Borchate (Mah) 390, 8. Kuheli Gangulee (CISF) 390.
10m Air Pistol (leading, top 8): 1. Heena Sidhu (Pun) 387, 2. Annu Raj Singh (AI) 382, 3. Neha Tokas (Del) 380, 4. Rahi Sarnobat (Mah) 378, 5. Sarvesh Tomar (CRPF) 376, 6. Lakhbir Kaur Sidhu (Pun) 374, 7. Anita Devi (Har) 373, 8. Shreya Gawande (Mah) 372.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic
- Court hears horror of Khmer Rouge forced marriages