Super Saina storms into quarters of World C`ship
London: Saina Nehwal stormed into the quarterfinals of the World Badminton Championship after zooming past Pui Yin Yip of Hong Kong in the third round of the women`s singles event on Thursday.
The world number six Indian didn`t waste any time in getting into the rhythm and was leading 13-5 in the second game when 14th seed Pui Yin retired to bring a premature end to the match.
However, Ajay Jayaram couldn`t cross the pre-quarters hurdle, losing a gruelling three-game match against sixth seed Jin Chen in the men`s singles competition.
The Indian lost 21-18, 12-21, 11-21 to the world number six in a match that lasted more than an hour at the Wembley arena here, which will also host the London Olympics next year.
Jwala Gutta and V Diju also couldn`t get past the fifth seeded English pair of Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen and lost 9-21, 15-21 in a 34-minute match.
Saina, who reached the quarterfinals in the 2009 and 2010 edition too, opened up a 2-0 lead and then moved with giant strides of three, seven and nine points to leave Pui Yin helpless.
The second game was no different as Saina moved from 5-1 to 9-3 before the Hong Kong girl could manage just two more points before conceding the match.
"I am happy to make it to the quarters. I am in the best shape this year and hopefully I will play well. In 2009 I was suffering from chicken pox and didn`t get much time to train but this time, I have trained for more than a month," said Saina, who will take on the winner of the third round match between 12th seed Petya Nedelcheva and third seed Xin Wang of China.
"I was disappointed with the Indonesia final as I was so desperate to win that tournament but I am happy that I am completely fit and in sound health now. There is no pressure and I hope to give my best," she added.
Jayaram, who had stunned Kenechi Tago in the opener, squandered a first-game lead and could not match up to his Chinese counterpart who sent down as many as 20 net winners compared to eight by the Indian.
In the first game, trailing 0-5, Jayaram narrowed down the gap and caught up with Chen at 9-9 and went neck and neck till 18-all before marching ahead to grab a 1-0 lead.
But Chen didn`t give the Indian any chance in the second game, registering eight straight points from 13-12 to roar back into the contest.
In the decider, Jayaram had opened up a 10-7 lead but the Indian couldn`t make use of it as the Chinese first drew parity before wrapping it up with a straight 10-point burst once again.
Commonwealth Games gold medallist Jwala and Ashwini Ponnappa will take on 11th seeds Lok Yan Poon and Ying Suet Tse of Hong Kong in the third round later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon