Supertrees! Genetically altered trees show amazing results
Genetically altered trees have
enormous economic potential as they live long and have a high
biological productivity, but its ecological and environmental
implications are yet unclear, experts have said.
In an orchard in Canada, genetically altered fruit trees
kill insects on contact without pesticide sprays. Soon they
will bear apples whose crispy white flesh won't turn brown
even hours after being cut.
In Israel, popular trees have been made to grow so fast
that they could eliminate the need to log old growth forests,
while gobbling enough carbon dioxide to slow global warming.
These and other equally attractive trees, said the paper,
are growing on scores of test plots around the world, part of
a little noted biotech revolution in forestry that experts
predict will hit its commercial stride in the next five years.
Building on a decade of practice in crops like soyabeans
and cotton, researchers at universities and at a few
biotechnology companies have been perfecting the art of
injecting novel genes into the cells of trees.
Now, scientists say, they are poised to harness the
enormous economic potential of the biggest, longest-lived and
most biologically productive plants on earth.
In the past decade, about 130 outdoor varieties of
genetically modified trees have got the go-ahead from the US
agriculture department's Animal and Plant Health Inspection
Report: Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!