Suranjoy in final of President`s Cup
Baku: Asian champion Suranjoy Singh continued his rampaging form to out-punch Mexico`s Baulio Avila and storm into the final of the season-ending President`s Cup Boxing Tournament.
The Indian, who is competing for the Asia One team, beat his rival from the Americas Two team 10-4 in a lopsided bout.
The 22-year-old Manipuri will now take on Europe Two`s Nordine Oubaali, a Frenchman who got a walkover in his semifinal bout, in the final tomorrow.
Suranjoy shunned aggression for caution in the opening round and preferred to counter-attack against an aggressive Avila, who is a pan-American Games bronze medallist. The strategy worked well as the Indian took a slender 2-0 lead in the first three minutes.
"It was a deliberate approach to be defensive to start with because the other guy was going all out. Suranjoy kept his cool and scored with some well-executed left straights and cross punches," national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu, who has been invited as one of the four coaches for the two Asian teams, told reporters.
Suranjoy adopted a more aggressive approach in the second round and scored through some hard-hitting uppercuts to take his lead to 7-2.
The final round followed a similar script and the Indian continued to dominate to eventually clinch the bout 10-4.
"I am thrilled to be doing well in such a prestigious event. Hopefully, I can win a gold," said Suranjoy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars