Surjeet Singh to be released Thursday
Lahore: Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh, who has served a life term following his arrest on charges of spying in the 1980s, will be freed from a prison in this eastern Pakistani city and handed over to Indian authorities tomorrow, an official said on Wednesday.
Singh, 69, will be released from Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore at 10 am tomorrow, a senior official of the prison department of Punjab province said.
Policemen will escort Singh to the Wagah land border crossing, where he will be handed over to Indian authorities, the official, who did not wish to be named, said.
Singh has been in Pakistani captivity for over 30 years.
Awais Sheikh, the counsel for Singh, told the media that the Indian national was arrested by Pakistani police on charges of spying during the regime of military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.
Singh was given the death sentence under the Pakistan Army Act in 1985. The death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment in 1989 by then President Ghulam Ishaq Khan.
Sources said Singh had held meetings with other prisoners in Kot Lakhpat Jail today to bid them farewell.
He also requested the authorities to serve him `sewai` to celebrate his impending release, the sources said.
Singh is expected to be repatriated along with 315 Indian fishermen who were today freed from a jail in the southern port city of Karachi. The fishermen were released as a goodwill gesture, officials said.
Hours after reports emerged yesterday that Pakistan was to free Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, the presidential spokesman clarified that authorities had actually ordered the release of Surjeet and not Sarabjit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP