Surjeet Singh to be released Thursday
Lahore: Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh, who has served a life term following his arrest on charges of spying in the 1980s, will be freed from a prison in this eastern Pakistani city and handed over to Indian authorities tomorrow, an official said on Wednesday.
Singh, 69, will be released from Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore at 10 am tomorrow, a senior official of the prison department of Punjab province said.
Policemen will escort Singh to the Wagah land border crossing, where he will be handed over to Indian authorities, the official, who did not wish to be named, said.
Singh has been in Pakistani captivity for over 30 years.
Awais Sheikh, the counsel for Singh, told the media that the Indian national was arrested by Pakistani police on charges of spying during the regime of military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.
Singh was given the death sentence under the Pakistan Army Act in 1985. The death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment in 1989 by then President Ghulam Ishaq Khan.
Sources said Singh had held meetings with other prisoners in Kot Lakhpat Jail today to bid them farewell.
He also requested the authorities to serve him `sewai` to celebrate his impending release, the sources said.
Singh is expected to be repatriated along with 315 Indian fishermen who were today freed from a jail in the southern port city of Karachi. The fishermen were released as a goodwill gesture, officials said.
Hours after reports emerged yesterday that Pakistan was to free Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, the presidential spokesman clarified that authorities had actually ordered the release of Surjeet and not Sarabjit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!