Surprise checks to curb pilferage of cooking gas: Deora
New Delhi: Surprise quality control checks are
being carried out at various LPG supply points to curb
pilferage of cooking gas and illegal trade of supplying
under-filled cylinders, the Government told Rajya Sabha today.
"Surprise Quality Control checks, which include weighing
of cylinders, are carried out by field officers at
distributors` godowns and when the cylinders are being
carried to godowns," Petroleum Minister Murli Deora said
answering supplementaries during Question Hour.
He said government planned to fit a device to an LPG
cylinder to prevent pilferage and a global expression of
interest (EOI) has been invited for the purpose.
Deora said oil marketing companies (OMCs) like IOC, BPCL
and HPCL have reported that based on established complaints of
supply of underweight cylinders, action has been taken in 163
cases including termination of four LPG distributors in the
country during the last three years.
"Whenever OMCs receive complaints, these are investigated
and suitable action is taken as per provisions of marketing
discipline guidelines wherein a fine of Rs 20,000 is imposed
on first offence and Rs 50,000 on second offence, while
distributorship is terminated for third offence," Deora said.
The minister said three major OMCs distribute 11 crore
cylinders, and by 2015 this number will go up to 16 crore.
Deora said a new scheme has been launched to distribute
LPG connections to households of rural poor.
He also said to increase the exploration and production of
oil and gas, eighth bid round of new exploration licensing
policy (NELP-VIII) was launched on April 9, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!