Surprise checks to curb pilferage of cooking gas: Deora
New Delhi: Surprise quality control checks are
being carried out at various LPG supply points to curb
pilferage of cooking gas and illegal trade of supplying
under-filled cylinders, the Government told Rajya Sabha today.
"Surprise Quality Control checks, which include weighing
of cylinders, are carried out by field officers at
distributors` godowns and when the cylinders are being
carried to godowns," Petroleum Minister Murli Deora said
answering supplementaries during Question Hour.
He said government planned to fit a device to an LPG
cylinder to prevent pilferage and a global expression of
interest (EOI) has been invited for the purpose.
Deora said oil marketing companies (OMCs) like IOC, BPCL
and HPCL have reported that based on established complaints of
supply of underweight cylinders, action has been taken in 163
cases including termination of four LPG distributors in the
country during the last three years.
"Whenever OMCs receive complaints, these are investigated
and suitable action is taken as per provisions of marketing
discipline guidelines wherein a fine of Rs 20,000 is imposed
on first offence and Rs 50,000 on second offence, while
distributorship is terminated for third offence," Deora said.
The minister said three major OMCs distribute 11 crore
cylinders, and by 2015 this number will go up to 16 crore.
Deora said a new scheme has been launched to distribute
LPG connections to households of rural poor.
He also said to increase the exploration and production of
oil and gas, eighth bid round of new exploration licensing
policy (NELP-VIII) was launched on April 9, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai