Surprise raid at PT Usha School of Athletics
Kozhikode: Continuing its drive to catch drug cheats following the athletics doping scandal, the National Anti Doping Agency officials conducted a surprise raid at the PT Usha School of Athletics on Friday.
A team of officers from Delhi, headed by Senior Project Manager V Jayaraman, checked the rooms of the athletes and also took urine samples.
"NADA deputed a team of officers today the 29th July, 2011 from Delhi headed by Mr. V Jayaraman, Sr Project Manager, NADA and included two technical officers of NADA and two lady Doping Control Officers to conduct surprise checks at the PT Usha School of Athletics, Kozhikode, Kerala," NADA Director General Rahul Bhatnagar said in a statement.
"The team reached the Institute at 12:00 PM and checked rooms of athletes for banned substances and also took urine sample on a random basis. Total of six urine samples were collected which will be brought to Delhi for testing. No food supplements were found in the rooms," he added.
A detailed session of awareness on Doping was conducted by the experts from NADA later with the athletes and coaches at the PT Usha Centre.
A programme for education and awareness is also being drawn up for sportspersons in Kerala in view of the forthcoming National Games, which includes printing and distribution of educational material in Malayalam.
"NADA will continue its drive against doping in sports in the country and surprise checks will be carried out at other centers where athletes are training," Bhatnagar said.
NADA teams conducted similar surprise raids at the National Institute of Sports (NIS), Patiala on July 9 and at the Bangalore SAI Centre two days later.
The country was hit by one of its worst doping scandals with eight track and field athletes, including Asian Games double gold medallist Ashwini Akkunji, returning positive for banned anabolic substances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!