Surprise raid at PT Usha School of Athletics
Kozhikode: Continuing its drive to catch drug cheats following the athletics doping scandal, the National Anti Doping Agency officials conducted a surprise raid at the PT Usha School of Athletics on Friday.
A team of officers from Delhi, headed by Senior Project Manager V Jayaraman, checked the rooms of the athletes and also took urine samples.
"NADA deputed a team of officers today the 29th July, 2011 from Delhi headed by Mr. V Jayaraman, Sr Project Manager, NADA and included two technical officers of NADA and two lady Doping Control Officers to conduct surprise checks at the PT Usha School of Athletics, Kozhikode, Kerala," NADA Director General Rahul Bhatnagar said in a statement.
"The team reached the Institute at 12:00 PM and checked rooms of athletes for banned substances and also took urine sample on a random basis. Total of six urine samples were collected which will be brought to Delhi for testing. No food supplements were found in the rooms," he added.
A detailed session of awareness on Doping was conducted by the experts from NADA later with the athletes and coaches at the PT Usha Centre.
A programme for education and awareness is also being drawn up for sportspersons in Kerala in view of the forthcoming National Games, which includes printing and distribution of educational material in Malayalam.
"NADA will continue its drive against doping in sports in the country and surprise checks will be carried out at other centers where athletes are training," Bhatnagar said.
NADA teams conducted similar surprise raids at the National Institute of Sports (NIS), Patiala on July 9 and at the Bangalore SAI Centre two days later.
The country was hit by one of its worst doping scandals with eight track and field athletes, including Asian Games double gold medallist Ashwini Akkunji, returning positive for banned anabolic substances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical