Sushil creates history; wins gold at World C’ships
New Delhi: Olympic bronze medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar became the first Indian grappler to win a gold medal at the senior level as he won the Wrestling World Championships after beating Russian Gogeav Alan.
Sushil was only the second Indian to win an Olympic medal when he grabbed a bronze at Beijing Games in 2008.
The Haryana grappler overcame Russia`s Gogaev Alan 3-1 in the final to clinch the gold.
He had defeated Azerbaijan`s Hasanov Jabrayil in the semifinal of the free style 66kg category event.
After getting a bye in the first round, he beat Akritidis of Greece, Martin Sebastian of Germany and Buyan Jav of Mongolia en route to the final.
All other Indian contenders had crashed out before the finals in the championship.
According to international body`s website (FILA), Sushil won his semifinal bout 4-3.
Sushil beat Alan in a grueling match, after the Russian made it to the finals by overwhelming Garzon Caballero of Cuba 4-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional