Sushil creates history; wins gold at World C’ships
New Delhi: Olympic bronze medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar became the first Indian grappler to win a gold medal at the senior level as he won the Wrestling World Championships after beating Russian Gogeav Alan.
Sushil was only the second Indian to win an Olympic medal when he grabbed a bronze at Beijing Games in 2008.
The Haryana grappler overcame Russia`s Gogaev Alan 3-1 in the final to clinch the gold.
He had defeated Azerbaijan`s Hasanov Jabrayil in the semifinal of the free style 66kg category event.
After getting a bye in the first round, he beat Akritidis of Greece, Martin Sebastian of Germany and Buyan Jav of Mongolia en route to the final.
All other Indian contenders had crashed out before the finals in the championship.
According to international body`s website (FILA), Sushil won his semifinal bout 4-3.
Sushil beat Alan in a grueling match, after the Russian made it to the finals by overwhelming Garzon Caballero of Cuba 4-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview