Sushil Kumar felicitated by Railways
New Delhi: Felicitating Sushil Kumar for becoming the first Indian wrestler to win a gold medal in the World Championship, the Railways today presented a cheque of Rs 10 lakh to him.
Minister of State for Railways KH Muniyappa handed over the cheque along with Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) award and a memento to Kumar.
The RSPB award is in addition to a special Railway Minister’s award of Rs 10 lakh which was announced by Minister Mamata Banerjee yesterday and which will be given to him later on.
Congratulating Kumar for attaining a prominent place in the world of sports, Muniyappa said that railways are proud and privileged to have him as a member of its large family.
The Minister hoped that Kumar would continue to bring laurels to the Railways and to the nation.
Railways’ wrestler Kumar won the gold medal after defeating Russian Gogaev in the 66 kg freestyle category in the World Championship in Moscow on September 12, the first Indian to achieve the feat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi