Sushma seeks all-party meet on Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: Urging social activist Anna Hazare to end his fast, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj on Thursday demanded that the government should convene an all-party meeting to discuss the Lokpal Bill.
In a tweet on micro-blogging site Twitter, she said Hazare was a very well-respected leader and the BJP had lent its support to his cause.
"Shri Anna Hazare is a very well respected leader. We are with him in his crusade against corruption. His life is very precious. We request him to give up his fast. BJP has already lent its support to this cause. We demand that the government should convene an all party meeting to discuss the issue," she said.
She said the bill to fight corruption should be "very stringent and effective".
Earlier, the BJP said it agrees with the essence of Hazare`s demand for a stronger instrument against corruption.
Party spokesman Prakash Javadekar said the draft of the Lokpal Bill brought out by the government was "toothless" and there was an urgency to have a more effective law to cover bureaucrats and political class.
Hazare`s indefinite fast for stronger Lokpal Bill continued for the third day on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy