Sushma seeks all-party meet on Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: Urging social activist Anna Hazare to end his fast, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj on Thursday demanded that the government should convene an all-party meeting to discuss the Lokpal Bill.
In a tweet on micro-blogging site Twitter, she said Hazare was a very well-respected leader and the BJP had lent its support to his cause.
"Shri Anna Hazare is a very well respected leader. We are with him in his crusade against corruption. His life is very precious. We request him to give up his fast. BJP has already lent its support to this cause. We demand that the government should convene an all party meeting to discuss the issue," she said.
She said the bill to fight corruption should be "very stringent and effective".
Earlier, the BJP said it agrees with the essence of Hazare`s demand for a stronger instrument against corruption.
Party spokesman Prakash Javadekar said the draft of the Lokpal Bill brought out by the government was "toothless" and there was an urgency to have a more effective law to cover bureaucrats and political class.
Hazare`s indefinite fast for stronger Lokpal Bill continued for the third day on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!