Sushma seeks all-party meet on Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: Urging social activist Anna Hazare to end his fast, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj on Thursday demanded that the government should convene an all-party meeting to discuss the Lokpal Bill.
In a tweet on micro-blogging site Twitter, she said Hazare was a very well-respected leader and the BJP had lent its support to his cause.
"Shri Anna Hazare is a very well respected leader. We are with him in his crusade against corruption. His life is very precious. We request him to give up his fast. BJP has already lent its support to this cause. We demand that the government should convene an all party meeting to discuss the issue," she said.
She said the bill to fight corruption should be "very stringent and effective".
Earlier, the BJP said it agrees with the essence of Hazare`s demand for a stronger instrument against corruption.
Party spokesman Prakash Javadekar said the draft of the Lokpal Bill brought out by the government was "toothless" and there was an urgency to have a more effective law to cover bureaucrats and political class.
Hazare`s indefinite fast for stronger Lokpal Bill continued for the third day on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand