This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

`Suspected cricketers` asked to stay back in Bangalore

The two J&K cricketers, who were detained after explosives detectors found traces of RDX in their kit bag, were asked to stay back in Bangalore.

Zeecric Bureau

Bangalore: The two Jammu and Kashmir cricketers, who were detained after explosives detectors found traces of RDX in their kit bag, prompting the nervous organisers of the Champions League to delay the start of the quarterfinal league matches, were asked to stay back in Bangalore until the police got the final forensic examination report.

Bangalore police on Sunday informed that the cricketers can leave Bangalore if and only the forensic report clears them of the charge.

Bangalore Police Commissioner Shankar Bidari said that they are expecting to get the final forensic report by tomorrow.

Earlier on Saturday, the arrest of Parvez Rassol, an Under-22 J&K cricketer, threw the police into a tizzy with two League A matches of the high-profile tournament being scheduled in the Chinnaswamy stadium where the player was staying.

"Though we have not found any explosives in the bag, we suspect that some residue of the explosive may be in the bag which may have been used in the past for carrying explosives or transporting them elsewhere," Bidari said.

"We have seized the bag and detained the owner, Parvez Rassol, a first year BA student from Bij Bahara in Anantnag district of J&K for questioning," he said.

Sources said the state police have already sent a request to its counterparts in J&K to do a background check on the player.

Meanwhile, a Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association official said that nothing has been found from the two cricketers picked up by the police for questioning.

"Our boys had gone to play some matches in Cuttack and from there they went to Bangalore yesterday. After landing in Bangalore, they got accommodation through Karnataka Association in the stadium itself and before entering the stadium they were checked (this morning)," Saleem Khan, secretary of JKCA said.

The incident forced the organisers to delay the start of the Champions League match between Cape Cobras and Victoria Bushrangers till police authorities give the all clear signal.
The first match, originally scheduled to start at 1600 hrs IST, was delayed by atleast an hour, which means the next game between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Delhi Daredevils would also start late.

The cricketers of the participating teams have been asked to stay back in hotel until the search is over.

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions


photo gallery