`Suspend US aid to Pak until it comes clean`
Washington: A powerful American senator has
demanded suspension USD 3 billion aid to Pakistan, until the country answers how Osama bin Laden was able to live so close to Islamabad and proves it stands by the US in war against
"The ability of Osama bin Laden to live in a compound
so close to Pakistan`s capital is astounding ? and we need to
understand who knew his location, when they knew it, and
whether Pakistani officials were helping to protect him,"
Senator Frank Lautenberg said.
Osama bin Laden was hiding in a one million dollar house
in Abbottabad, 120 km from Islamabad.
Lautenberg is a member of Senate Appropriations
Subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations and Vice Chair of
the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security.
"The United States provides billions of dollars in
aid to Pakistan. Before we send another dime, we need to know
whether Pakistan truly stands with us in the fight against
"Until Congress and the American public are assured
that the Pakistani government is not shielding terrorists,
financial aid to Pakistan should be suspended," he said.
For FY 2012, President Barack Obama has requested almost
USD 3 billion in foreign assistance for Pakistan, including
USD 1.58 billion in funds for security related programmes and
USD 1.36 billion for economic and humanitarian aid.
"In addition, Pakistan could receive an additional USD 1
billion or more from the Department of Defence in Coalition
Support Funds to reimburse the Pakistani military," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt