Swamy Sathyananda Saraswati passes away
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 24: Swamy Satyananda
Saraswati, head of Sreeramadasa ashram here and a frontline
campaigner of several temple rights movements in Kerala, died
at a private hospital here today.
He was 71. Satyananda Saraswati was keeping indifferent
health for quite some time, ashram sources said.
Popularly known as 'Chengottukonam Swamy', after the
village where his ashram is located, he shot to fame in early
1980s for organising a mass struggle for establishing the
right of Sabarimala shrine over the vast stretches of land at
Nilakkal area, about 10 km from the Pampa foothills.
Known for his fiery speeches and organising skills, the
Swamy had played a key role in forging unity of Hindu
organisations in the state since the 1970s.
A religious scholar and inspiring orator, Swamy was the
founder-editor of the Punyabhoomi daily.
He had set up branches of his ashram in other parts of the
country and abroad and founded young men's Hindu association
and 'Maithili Mahila Mandalam'. He was also founder of the
annual Rama Navami Mela in the state capital.
An Ayurvedic and Siddha expert, he had a few years back
launched a health drink called 'herbal cola'.
The Swamy's real name was Sekharan Nair. He was born in
a middle class family in Andoorkonam near here. After teaching
science in a school for a few years, he became disciple
of Neelakanta Gurupadar and chose to lead an ascetic life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY